Friday, October 2, 2009

Visit from Dato Seri Anwar to the Bay Area

Monday September 28, 2009. I met up with my Malaysian buddy Wong Soon Seng at the New Penang Garden restaurant. Both of us were excited for what is to be our chance in a lifetime face to face meeting with Dato Seri Anwar Ibrahim. He is truly Malaysia's last hope for salvation, I believe that he can make a difference, despite what most people say. The country of my birth has gone to the dogs, so to speak.

Dato Seri was giving a speech on the current developments in Malaysia and what his party's plans are for the future of the country. We in the Bay Area have seen and heard stories that are sometimes hard to believe. More and more minorities in Malaysia are leaving the country, frustrated by the corrupt and unequal system.

According to Data Seri there are about 4 million Malaysian all over the world that can make a difference not by voting but by providing campaign contributions. He can't seem to understand why Malaysia does not allow for overseas voters to cast their votes from Malaysian embassies whereas every other country in the world (even the 3rd world countries allows it) allows it.

The speech was fantastic, everyone had a renewed interest in their homeland and was spurred on to contribute to the cause.

I personally had a chance to take a photo with the Dato and proudly sent it back to my family in Seremban. Imagine this, none of my family members living in Malaysia could get this chance but I got the chance half way around the world. I think it's a sign. Something tells me that next election is going to be a blast and there is going to be bloodshed and new victory for the opposition party. I hope I get to witness it or be part of it.

I just hope that my family will be safe when all hell breaks lose.

No comments: